In 2017, USA Today reported that Miami and Orlando were both listed in the top 10 worst cities for driving in the United States.  Major construction being done as part of the I-4 Big Drive Project and the large number of tourists in the area both contribute to the bad driving conditions in Central Florida.

Florida State troopers reported that in 2016 there were 395,785 automobile accidents in the state, and those crashes resulted in 254,155 injuries.  Of those injuries, 21,645 were considered incapacitating.  It almost feels like it’s not a case of if you will have an accident, but rather when you will have one.



Florida is a no-fault state, which means that your insurance will pay for most of the damages you receive in an automobile accident regardless of who is at fault.  There are, however, exceptions to that.  Under Florida’s personal injury protection laws you can receive compensation from the person who caused the accident if you have “a serious injury.”  That means that one or more of the following occurred:

  • You suffered a permanent injury
  • You sustained significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement
  • You have significant and permanent loss of a bodily function

It can be difficult to prove a serious injury.  You will need an experienced attorney to help you.

It is important to remember that Florida has a 4-year statute of limitations concerning the filing of a lawsuit.  This means that you have 4 years from the date the accident occurred to file a lawsuit.  After that, you lose the chance to file a claim.



If you have been involved in an automobile accident, there are several things you need to do.  We know you are often shaken and upset, but try to do the following things:

  • Take pictures at the scene.
  • If there are witnesses present, get their names and numbers. Documentation will be very important if you later file a lawsuit.
  • If you have been injured, seek medical treatment immediately. Oftentimes, the true extent of an injury is not apparent for several days, or even weeks.  Under Florida law, however, you must have received treatment within 14 days or your claim cannot be considered.  So even if you think your injuries might be very minor, see a medical provider as soon as possible.
  • Write down everything. If you miss time from work, write it down.  If you see a medical professional, make a note of it.  Also, save all of your receipts.  If you fill a prescription, save the receipt.  If you see a medical professional and make a co-pay, save the receipt.  If you purchase a mobility aid or a brace, save the receipt.  It all adds up over time.



If you find that you need an attorney to help you after an accident, make sure you go to a firm with experience and a proven track record.  You want an attorney who knows the best way to handle your claim.

At Diez-Arguelles & Tejedor, we have been very successful in achieving justice for our clients.  We have a dedicated staff that has the knowledge to effectively handle your case.  Our attorneys have the experience and resources required to achieve the results you need.  Over the years, we have won many large verdicts for our clients.  Although we cannot guarantee that your case will be successful, we can promise that you will receive the best possible representation.

When you need an experienced automobile accident lawyer, contact Diez-Arguelles & Tejedor.  We will give you a free confidential evaluation and help you decide the best way to proceed.